Saturday, July 24, 2010

PB Day 20 - ala Joey

This is Joseph Wayne Robinson.He's 5 years old.

He likes tractors, his hot green bike, and Batugans/Transformers/Ben 10 Aliens. (They're all the same to me and hurt the same when stepped on in the middle of the night)

His dislikes include cheese, iCarly, and long car rides.

Yes, ladies...he's single.

This was the conversation I had with Joey this morning:

Me: What do you want for breakfast, Joey?
Joey: Uh...Mommy, can you make me some bacon?
Me: Sure, honey...
Joey: With chicken?
Me: Uh...
Joey: And peanut butter?
Me: uhh...bacon, chicken and peanut butter?
Joey: Yup. Please.
Me: Ok...I'll see what I can come up with...

He did say "please" after all. If my kids are anything, they are going to be polite. Even if it kills me.

And sure enough, if you Google hard enough, you can come up with something to work with.

Let's start with a marinade for the chicken:

Peanut butter, lemon juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, hot pepper flakes. Heat until peanut butter melts...

Take some chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces...
I had three chicken breasts...one huge one, and 2 medium sized ones...

Place in a plastic bag...
Pour on 1/2 of the peanut butter sauce...massage with your hands to mix...

This is my Tyler Florence thing: Place bag in a bowl and put in the refrigerator. The bowl helps in case there's a hole in the bag, the marinade won't leak all over the fridge.

Ever notice how it becomes clear that the Food Network chefs don't do dishes? I make Paula Deen's chicken casserole, and it takes me 2 hours to do the dishes.

Anyways, let it sit in the marinade for a while...Joey has the patience of his mother, so I did an hour. Longer would be better...

Take it out, set up a little station for skewering...

Bacon, sheet pan, cutting board, skewers, chicken...

Cut the bacon into thirds...or so...
Fold the little bacon strip around a piece of chicken...

Then send it onto the skewer...
And repeat. And repeat. And repeat.
Meanwhile...let's heat up the grill.

I have the remainder of the peanut butter sauce, my tongs, and the skewers...
Oh, and coffee. Because you can't grill at 7:30am without coffee.


I ain't no Bobby Flay. I ain't gonna pretend to be no Bobby Flay.

I'm just gonna put these on a hot grill, dab the rest of the marinade on them...

And turn when they start to char a little...

After about 10 minutes, the juices are clear and they look like this:

And let's get inside so we can eat!

Holy crap these look good...
Get one out for Joey before he has the big one...

And the taste...
And Mommy gets rewarded!

(He's hugging me, I'm not a good photog)

Isn't he sweet?

You can make these for supper, they're nice for summer weather.

Bacon Chicken skewers with peanut butter sauce...?
(Adapted from Taste of home Peanut Butter Chicken Skewers)

1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp minced garlic
3 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 4 medium sized ones)
1 pkg bacon

In a saucepan, combine peanut butter, water, soy sauce, garlic, lemon juice, brown sugar, ginger and red pepper flakes. Heat until peanut butter is melted, cool.

Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and place in plastic bag. Pour 1/2 of peanut butter mixture over the chicken, massage to coat each piece. Place bag in bowl, then refrigerate 4 hours.

Cut each slice of bacon into thirds. Wrap the small strips around the chicken pieces, then thread onto skewer. Preheat grill, grill the skewers, basting on the remainder of the peanut mixture. Cook until chicken juices run clear. Serve immediately.

Then get a hug from everyone because these are awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment