Tuesday, July 27, 2010

PB Day 23 - Bread me, Baby

I think the Adkin's Diet is some kind of cruel fraternity hazing project gone awry. My dear friend Jim described Adkin's like this: "If it's white and it tastes good, you have to spit it out."

There's absolutely no way on the face of human earth that I can stay low-carb for more than a day.
I am a carb-y kinda gal. It's just a sad fact: I love potatoes, sugar, flour, rice, pasta...and of course I love bread.

Homemade bread is sort of the holy grail of food when I was growing up. When someone made homemade yeast bread for a family dinner, it was such a big deal. It was warm, and a big glop of butter melting on it...well, thinking about that just made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
So let's make some peanut butter bread.

This recipe comes from Jif's website. I mean, if you want the goods, you go straight to the top, right?

There's two super-awesome things about this recipe: Just a few ingredients, and just a few dirty dishes.

This is a bowl full of our good friends: flour, sugar, baking powder...
Mix those together, then cut in 3/4 cup of peanut butter...

Would you look? I killed another peanut butter container.

Heyyyy, Amy! That's not JIF!!!!
Yeah, shhhh...keep it down. The Peter Pan Crunchy was on sale...don't tell JIF, ok?

I cut it in the same way I make pie crust...until it's nice and crumbly:

Then take 1 cup of milk and drop an egg in it...

Beat together and pour into the flour mixture all at once..

Wasn't quick enough on the camera to get an action shot.

Then take a bread loaf pan...line it and spray it.

Amy, what in the crap is that paper? Do I need that or are you just showing off your awesome bakery accessories again?

Chill, dude. You don't need the liners. Just spray the loaf pan.

Let's hit the oven...350 for 50 - 60 minutes...

And then it becomes this:


A wonderful, high-carb, high-fat, low healthy loaf of bread.

Oh, Carb Heaven! I'm here. Get the gates open wide so I can get in.

Peanut Butter Bread
Adapted from a recipe from Jif

2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 cup peanut butter (I used crunchy)
1 egg
1 cup milk.

Preheat oven to 350. Mix together flour, sugar, baking powder. Cut in peanut butter with a fork. Beat the egg in the milk, dump into the flour mixture all at once. Pour into a greased or lined bread loaf pan, bake for 50-60 minutes.

Serve warm. Seriously, dude. Warm with butter. Let it make the hair on the back of YOUR neck stand up.

Yanno what? I think I'm going to make a ham sandwich with this right now.

What are you going to do with the rest of it? Let me guess...banana fried sandwiches or something, right?

Well, you'll just have to tune in tomorrow to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment