Saturday, July 10, 2010

PB Day 6 - Klutzy McKlutzo's Guide to Pancakes

My name is Amy, and I'm clumsy.

It's a fact that I've accepted, deal with, and really don't recognize most days.

Today would be an exception to that.

I wanted to make peanut butter pancakes this morning. I got up early, did my joggie-walkie thing...and went to the bakery to dish out some cakes for ya'll.

On the way out to the bakery, I slipped and took a header into the boys' little blow up pool. Griddle and camera went flying...the griddle caught me on the chin and the camera bonked me in the head. Bruises on chin, shoulder, hip, and ego.

And that's only the beginning...just wait till you see what else I went through to get pancakes.

I have made many pancakes in my life. I have been involved with at least a gazillion pancake dinner fundraisers. My boys love pancakes and sausage, so we have that for supper. A lot.

What I'm trying to say is, this ain't my first Pancake Rodeo...
However, I had a wee bit of trouble getting my first batch of pancakes to triumphant...
Gah...But let's go back to the beginning...

Dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder...Wet ingredients: Milk, egg, peanut butter, vanilla
Had a little trouble getting the peanut butter out of the measuring cup. Ridiculous, Amy. Not going to be winning any photography awards today, are we?

Mix the dry...

Then mix the wet...
Then mix the two together...
Note: This batter will be thick. Thick thick...More on that in a minute.

What's the gadget of the day, Amy?

Why, it's that griddle that smacked me in the face during the big fall!

Melt a few tablespoons of butter on the griddle...

I have this set to 350...Is there anything prettier than butter melting?

Here's our thickie-thick batter...Plop some out on the hot griddle And watch as the peanut butter melts...
Don't add more liquid, then it will be runny and flat...trust me, the peanut butter melts in the batter to make it the right consistency...

Flip to golden brown...

When I grow up, I want to be a short-order cook. I love flipping things on griddles...

Maybe I'll make the next batch with chocolate chips...

Don't worry, true to form, I dropped the chocolate chips and they scattered all over the bottom of my freezer...I didn't take a picture because then you would be able to see an embarrassing amount of frozen pizzas in my deep freeze...
Thank goodness we got some pretty ones. Oh, look. A glass plate. More to break!

Butter these. Please put butter on them, they are asking for it. I'm not a fan of the syrup, but my husband is. He also consumed these standing up in front of the open fridge. Even the ugly ones.

Peanut Butter Pancakes

(Adapted from a recipe found at peanutbutterlovers.com)

1 1/4 cups flour

2 1/2 tsps baking powder

2 tbsps sugar

1 1/4 cups milk

1 egg

1/4 cup peanut butter

1 tsp vanilla

butter for griddle

Heat griddle to 350. Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar. In another bowl, whisk together milk, egg, peanut butter and vanilla. Combine the wet into the dry. Batter will be thick

Melt butter on griddle, then drop batter onto greased griddle and cook on both sides to golden brown.

Then eat it. Immediately. These aren't something that should be filed under "make ahead". File them under "make and eat now".

2 comments:

  1. Ohhh Amy! These look scrumptous!! Going to fix tomorrow morning for sure! YUMMY!! (I can eat these!!! YAY) Do you think they will turn out if I use splenda? Im experimenting lol...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think splenda would be fine, I would use 1 tbsp instead of 2. I would almost say you could leave the sugar out completely...esp if you have peanut butter that's sweet.

    Let me know how they go!

    ReplyDelete