Wednesday, July 14, 2010

PB Day 10 - Hummus

Some of you have asked for a "healthy" recipe, or a "low-cal" recipe...

I thought maybe today would be perfect for that.

I worked 3rd shift last night, and my sister-in-law wondered if it would be okay if she and my niece kept my boys for the day so I could sleep.

"Would it be okay?" they said. Bless their hearts. "Does a bear wear a funny hat?" was my reply.

So, in anticipation of my little breather day, I thought it would be nice if I made something for me. Something that I like, that I don't get around here. Something off the wall that would make my husband gag. And it should be kinda healthy, too.

So I found a recipe for hummus. Then I found a recipe for hummus burgers. And then I was ready to eat.

Hummus burgers, Amy? Really?

Yeah. Really.

The recipe actually calls for tahini instead of peanut butter. Tahini is similar to peanut butter, but instead of peanuts, they grind sesame seeds. So, I'm certain I can substitute...Or, at least, Alton Brown told me I could.

Simple ingredients...


Lemon juice and zest, garlic, olive oil, peanut butter, onion, garbanzo beans..

Gadget time. I stole this from my mom's house...

Don't tell her, okay? She uses it to chop skinny meat for this pickle roll-up thing that she's famous for around here...
I'm using it to coarsely chop the garbanzo beans. My old house being an old house - none of the plug ins are within reach of this point in my kitchen. So I'll go over here and grind them up...

Done! coarsely chop, we're making burgers...

Add the rest of the ingredients...
And mix...

Get a sheet pan and spray with cooking spray


and make into patties. Mine made 4, but one is kinda puny...


Bake 350 for 30 minutes...

Let's see what else I can put on this burger:

Sour cream-cucumber sauce is good, pretty red tomatoes are nice, some pita bread...
Say, this is starting to be kinda awesome!

Ok, burgers are done...
and what do I smell? I smell the peanut butter. And the garlic...yum.

I stuffed my pita...I needed green so I dug out some spinach...

You're jealous, aren't you...

Wait, is it me or does it kinda look like a piece of fried chicken? I seriously need a new camera...

So here's my lunch:
Hummus burger on pita with fresh cantaloupe and greek yogurt...

Doesn't that sound like I'm presenting it to Tom Colicchio on Top Chef? Yeah, Amy...you wish.

Here's the recipe...

Hummus Burgers
Adapted from http://www.ehow.com/how_2288927_make-hummus-burgers.html

2 cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1/4 medium onion
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced roasted garlic
juice and zest of one lemon
1 tsp salt

Process 2 cans of garbanzo beans and onion. Add remaining ingredients and mix. Shape into patties and place on greased sheet pant. Bake 30 minutes.

Serve hot, cold, or room temperature.

Freezes beautifully.

Now I feel like I did something just for me. Go, Amy.

No comments:

Post a Comment