Thursday, July 29, 2010

PB Day 25 - Don't call me Cream Puff.

"How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..." --EB Browning

I'm pretty sure that Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote this after eating a cream puff.

Because there are things in this world that are better than cream puffs...but not many.

I've made real cream puffs before and yes, they are all that and a bag of potato chips. Cream puffs are really easy, and certainly don't require any special ingredients...butter, eggs, flour, sugar and something awesome for the filling.

The recipe I'm about share with you is NOT an authentic cream puff recipe. It's sort of Cream Puff's Evil Twin Skippy. (Get it? SKIPPY!!!)

Yeah, Amy. We got it. Good one.

I found the recipe on a blog called Cheeky Kitchen...and immediately bookmarked it. It's easy, it's fun...and it's yu-hu-hu-hu-mmy.

Start with 2 cups of water and 1 stick of butter...
Melt butter and then bring to a boil...
When you get to the boil, take a package of Peanut Butter Cookie mix...

Dump the whole thing in and stir until smooth...
The dough will begin to clean the sides of the saucepan...

Add eggs 1 at a time...
Mix until smooth. Repeat x4
Yeah, your arms totally get a workout.
Plop the dough onto a baking sheet...
I did a heaping tablespoon, then another heaping tablespoon on top of that...

Bake at 425 for 5 minutes, then lower temperature to 325 and bake another 12 minutes...

Then the puff up like this:
Take them out, split them open and let the steam come out.

The Cheeky Kitchen version says to open them up and pull out the doughy part. Then they instruct to bake again to dry out the insides.

Because I'm feeling all James Dean today, I didn't do that, I just filled them with whipped cream:

Neat, huh? Chocolate mousse would be good here....Or a drizzle of honey...

Ok, and I had to do this:
Oh, Amy...why did you do that?
Because I'm Amy. That's why.

So make some...they're yummy.
And follow Cheeky Kitchen's recipe found here. It's easier to read, and her other stuff is fun to read as well....

No comments:

Post a Comment