Monday, July 12, 2010

PB Day 8 - Something for Gracie and Gracie and Scout

There they are. My scales.
The most unappealing sight of my Mondays.I belong to a weight-loss support group called TOPS (Taking Off Pounds Sensibly), they're a non-profit group that encourages sensible eating habits to achieve doctor-prescribed weight goals.
I missed last week (4th of July), and the week before (embarrassed about being 7lbs up from vacay)...today I gotta face the music.
So let's make something that I won't want to stuff in my mouth straight out of the oven. Heck, let's make something I won't want to eat period!
How about...dog biscuits?
Buh-Rill-Yant.
There's at least a bagazatriillion dog biscuit recipes online. I read a stack of them and sort of formulated my own recipe...

Of course, the ingredients are simple, most of which you probably have already....

Peanut Butter (duh), shortening, water, eggs, cornmeal, oats, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour...Mix the shortening, peanut butter...add eggs and water
Whisk together the dry ingredients, then dump them into the wet...

After a buzz in the mixer, it comes together into a dough...

Dump it onto a floured board...

And roll out...1/4" thickness...



Now, let's find a cookie cutter shaped like a bone...or a cat...or a hydrant.

Geez, Aim...you have a lot of freakin' cookie cutters.

Yeah, well...I have a decorated cookie business. Duh.
Uh, Amy...that's a truck.



Cowboy hat...come on, Amy...your ADHD is showing...
Ah Ha!Cut those bad boys out...

Onto the baking sheet...

Dude, these look kinda good, don't they? Even like, for people...

Bake 20 minutes at 400...they look like this:

Then turn off the oven, let them cool inside.

You could do that overnight, or you could take your kids to the doctor and then come back and they look like this...
Oh, they look kinda yummy...

Oh, do I see an Amy Bakes subsidiary developing???

Let's try these out on some customers...
This is Gracie.
The biscuits were large for Gracie (she's just a little feller)...But once she got one broken into pieces she could handle, she was all over it.
Gracie was a bit freaked out by the whole taste testing photo shoot that we subjected her to this morning...

She was none-too-happy that two little boys came to her house screaming, "I want to hold huh!!!"


That fear in her eyes is caused by my Deej.

Let's leave Gracie and go find dogs that are bigger....
This is my dad's Gracie...
And this is my girl, Scout...or Sissy, as we call her...
Gracie dug the biscuits...
So did Sis, but she was much less willing to have her picture made...


Gracie wanted another, and accepted it like a lady...

Sissy jerked it out of my hand...and ran down the hill with it.
Whoo...she really wanted that, didn't she?

Here's the recipe...make some for your doggie.

Peanut Butter Dog Biscuits.

1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup water
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup corn meal
1 cup oats
1 cup all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 400

Combine shortening and peanut butter, add eggs and water. Whisk together oats, both flours, and corn meal, add to shortening mixture. Mix until soft dough forms.
Turn dough onto floured board, knead a few times, then roll to 1/4" thickness. Cut with cookie cutters, keep re-rolling scraps until all dough is used.
Bake on cookie sheets for 20 minutes, or until slightly browned. Turn off oven, leaving cookies inside to cool...a few hours or overnight.

Keep in air-tight container.

Take it from Gracie, Gracie and Sissy...They are yummy. But yanno what I should have done? I should have used chicken or beef stock instead of water. I'm totally doing that next time.

Yay for me, I didn't eat any peanut butter today!

No comments:

Post a Comment