Monday, August 2, 2010

PB Day 29 - Soups ON.

So, it's Day 29. I can see the light. And it is good.

It's also the Disputed Anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. At least, according to the All Knowing, All Powerful Wikipedia.

So we should make something like historical...or patriotic, or something.

I thought about Peanut Butter, blueberry and Strawberry jello cake. But that seems a little outdated.

Then I thought about something connected with "The Patriot", but Mel Gibson is way off his rocker these days.

I tried to think about the White House...Then I thought about the first White House: Mount Vernon. Which lead me to Colonial Williamsburg. And Peanut Soup.

Yep...that's my train of thought, pals. That's how I roll: 24-7. It's a wonder I can function in everyday society.

In Colonial America, cream of peanut butter soup was a popular winter concoction served as a thin soup or the base of a more bulky and hearty vegetable stew. (site here)


Seriously, Dude. It's on the menu for nearly every historical hotel/tavern/pub in the Williamstown area. At least all the ones that came up when I Googled.

And it's yummy. It's definitely a winter dish, it's not something that makes a lot of sense to eat with a heat index of 110.

But it's good. And I ate enough to make me want to nap.

So let's start where every good soup should start: let's render some freakin' bacon.
Take out the bacon...
And here comes Big Joey, who is just like his mother when it comes to pig.

Add some chopped onion and celery...cook until softened, about 5 minutes.

Add 1/4 cup of flour
Stir and cook for a few minutes...

Then add 1 qt of chicken stock (you can sub veg stock or beef stock)

Cook until it boils, keep stirring...
After it thickens, turn the heat down...

Add 1 cup half and half (or milk, or heavy cream) and 1 cup peanut butter

Stir it together and allow it to warm.

Get it out in a bowl.
after a tasting, I decided to garnish with some bacon...

yeah, those are big chunky pieces. Well, dude, everything in my life is big and chunky. Including my derriere.

It needs some zip, so I added some red pepper flakes...

And...stay with me.

What? Oh geeze, Amy...what are you going to put in it?

This:
What is that?

It's...

What?

It's strawberry jelly.

What!?!?

Trust me, dude. It needs some sweet!

Oh, Amy!

Just try it, it's really good!

Everything needs a little salt, a little spice, and a little sweet! It's the spice of life!

Come on, you know if it wasn't 105 degrees outside you would totally want a bite...

See the jelly? It's a good spoonful.

Peanut Butter Soup
Adapted from a recipe from King Arm's Tavern, Colonial Williamsburg

4 strips bacon
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 qt chicken stock (or vegetable stock or beef broth)
1 cup half and half (or milk or heavy cream)
1 cup peanut butter
Red pepper flakes (to taste)
Strawberry jelly (for garnish)

Render bacon, remove strips. Add onion and celery to bacon grease, cook until softened. Add flour, cook while stirring for 2 minutes. Add chicken stock, bring to a boil, then turn down heat and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Add half and half and peanut butter, continue to heat, do not allow to boil. Serve immediately, garnish with bacon strips, red pepper flakes and a dollop of strawberry jelly.

Get all Thelma and Louise and try this. Okay, you can wait until fall, but promise me you'll try it. With the jelly. Promise? PROMISE???

No comments:

Post a Comment