Saturday, August 7, 2010

Food Alliteration is Awesome.

This post involves 5 of my favorites: Bread, Butter, Brown Sugar, Bacon, and Alliteration.

How can you go wrong with that?

Dude, you can't.

I'm sort of having a Brown Betty obsession. I made 2 peach brown bettys: one for our neighbor (knee surgery) and one for a church meal. I figure, if you find something awesome, just keep making new ones and cash in on the popularity. Kinda like CSI and NCIS. Also, it was just as easy to make 3 as to make 1.

This is based on Pioneer Woman's Apple Brown Betty. You can find that recipe here.

I ain't about chitty-chatty today, let's get on with this. Mainly so I can get away from the desk and stand in front of the refrigerator to finish the pan. Excuse me, "baking dish".

Let's start at the beginning. A very fine place to start. And to make it even more fine, it's with butter.


Butter the baking dish. Don't be shy. Butter it like we's friends.

Slice some bread. I just used wheat bread,


We're going for a dice here...or you can tear it into bite size pieces...

This is 4 slices of bread, I eventually ended up doing 8.

I spread 1/2 cup of brown sugar on the bottom of the dish:


Then added bacon:


5 slices of pre-cooked bacon. And I burnt it a little...

Now some bread cubes...


And back to the brown sugar:


See where I'm going? Layer-layer-layer. Brown Sugar, Bacon, Bread. Brown Sugar, Bacon, Bread. 3 layers total.

Thank goodness it's not more or I'd be in some sort of artery-clogged trance.

At the end, we cover the top with butter. Yeah, we do.


I used about a stick of butter. Pioneer Woman's recipe calls for 1 1/2 sticks. Maybe she used a bigger dish.

Little more brown sugar never hurt anyone, right?


And then 3 tbsp of water sprinkled over the top. I'm not sure what this is about, but who am I to argue with the Pioneer Woman?


Cover in foil...


375 oven for 40 minutes...then it looks like this:


I'll give her another 5 minutes with no foil...

And I'm not waiting anymore. I'm eating now.


Yummy, right?

The brown sugar on the bottom makes a crust, and the rest is salty-sweet heaven. Because in my heaven, everything will be salty-sweet. And have bacon in it.

Has Bill Gates/Steve Jobs/Google Dudes invented something that allows you to eat a virtual bite? Well, dangit...he should.


Wanna make some? yeah, I thought so.

Bacon Brown Betty

Adapted from the recipe Apple Brown Betty from Pioneer Woman

15 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

1 1/2 cups brown sugar

1 stick butter, sliced

8 slices bread, diced or torn into bite sized pieces

3 tbsp water

Preheat oven to 375.

Butter baking dish (8x8 glass pan, large pie dish). Layer 1/2 cup brown sugar on the bottom, cover with 5 slices of bacon pieces. Layer 1/3 of the bread pieces on the bacon, then begin another layer patter of brown sugar-bacon-bread. Repeat brown sugar-bacon-bread layers until you have a total of three. Cover the final bread layer with the sliced butter, sprinkle more brown sugar, then sprinkle the water. Cover in foil and bake 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5 minutes or until slightly browned.

Eat while standing in front of the fridge with the door open.

And now you understand why food alliteration is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment