Wednesday, August 4, 2010

And now for something completely different...

So…we’re under some sort of heat advisory or something. They’re telling us it’s 950,000 degrees outside. Doesn’t sound like good baking weather to me.

Speaking of which, who’s the tool who bought a 16lb turkey and stuck it in my fridge, huh? Oh…I think that was me.

My dad…you know my dad. Constantly bringing me food to make into something. Today I got an itty bitty watermelon.


We could certainly slice this up and eat it, but what’s the fun in that?

How about we pull out the super awesome ice cream freezer and make some sherbet!


I gutted that watermelon and got about 3 cups. Then added 1/4 cup lemon juice and let it chillax in the refrigerator for a 1/2 hour. I also added some sugar: the recipe called for 3/4 cup…that seems like a lot, so I only added 1/2 cup.

We need to buzz this to smooth:


Ahh, new blender?

Yeah, also courtesy of my dad. We needed a blender to make tomato juice, so he sprung for a new one. He’s nice, isn’t he?

After we buzz…we strain. This may be called a “seedless watermelon”, but there’s still seeds in it. I mean, you can’t expect watermelons to extinct themselves, right?

This is one envelope of unflavored gelatin mixed with 1/4 cup of hot water…

Pour that in with 1 cup milk…


And head to the super awesome freezer…

May have gotten her a little full. Oh, well…what’s the worst that could happen?

Now we wait. We can…peruse some old cookbooks that Mom found for me:


Anyone remember “Ryan’s Daughters” cafe in Effingham? Mom said it was a great place to eat, my Grandma wrote “October 1982″ on it. The other one is an Homemakers Extension Collection from 1964.

Still have some time, let’s Tweet:


Oh YES! Man Vs Food is tonight! I have a secret fantasy that he comes to Toledo and I feed him Bacon Fudge and he can’t finish it. Wouldn’t that be the most? To say the least…

Okay, cut the crap, it’s done…


Pretty pretty pretty! I like pink.

I put some salt on it…seems logical since we eat salt on watermelon, right?

My dad says it’s too sweet. So next time, I’ll not use any sugar.

Watermelon Sherbet

Adapted from a recipe found at Taste of Home

5 cups watermelon

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup hot water

1 envelope unflavored gelatin

1 cup milk.

Combine watermelon, sugar and lemon juice, chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes. Process in blender until smooth, strain. Add gelatin to water, stir until melted. Add gelatin mixture to watermelon, then stir in milk. Freeze in ice cream freezer according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Look how fast it’s melting:


See? I told you it was hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment