Monday, March 22, 2010

Hey Motivation, where'd ya go?

I'm really sorry to say that I haven't been inspired by too much these last few weeks. I've been dragging my feet on Easter preparations. I have a bunch of great ideas for cookies, but can't seem to find the motivation to get them completed. Or started, for that matter. I have a list of causes for this creative slump: weather, economy, lack of sleep, too much sleep, missing 2 weeks of Project Runway, swimsuit shopping, diet food, dentist/dr trips, allergies...If I learned anything in grad school, it was how to find something or someone to blame.

But this morning I found my Grandmother's recipe for Whippersnappers. And my outlook has changed.

My grandmother wasn't famous for these. She was famous for Halloween Popcorn Balls (future post, I promise). She also never made these for me, and (rest her soul in peace) if she were here I would be whining about that.

Aren't they gorgeous? Be prepared, I took lots and lots of pictures of them. I couldn't stop.




One of my new favorite adjectives is "bakery-perfect". These, to me, are bakery perfect.

They are full of all my favorites: Butter, pecans, peanut butter, chocolate chips, oats...Just a whole buncha good in one hand. And they are big cookies. In my house, everything is big: big shoes, big babies, big chairs and big cookies.


Here's the recipe. Feel free to drool over the rest of the pics.


Whippersnappers


From the recipe box of Olive Wilson (how it got there, I have no idea)

3/4 cup Brown Sugar

3/4 cup Sugar

1 1/2 cup Shortening (I used lard. IT'S NOT THAT BAD FOR YOU, READ THE RESEARCH!)

2 Large Eggs

1 1/2 cups Flour

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp Baking Soda

2 3/4 cups Oats

1/2 cup chopped Pecans

1/2 cup Peanut Butter

1 1/2 tsp vanilla

6 oz chocolate chips (I always use milk chocolate, use your favorite)


Cream together both sugars, shortening, and peanut butter. Add eggs and vanilla. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to sugar mixture. Stir in oats, pecans, and chocolate chips. Wrap dough in plastic and chill 4 hours or overnight.

Drop by tablespoonfuls on a baking sheet. Bake 350 for 12-14 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown on edges.

Grandma wrote a note at the end of this: "I tried these and they taste good. Next time, make them bigger"...I guess my love for all things big is a genetic thing.



My beloved grandma would have wanted you to make these. And for you to enjoy them as much as I did.

1 comment:

  1. I wrote down this recipe and am going to make them they sound great!!

    ReplyDelete